Press "Enter" to skip to content

Armed Man Dead Following Police Shooting, Standoff in San Francisco

An armed man is dead following a police shooting in San Francisco Friday.

SFPD said that just before 2:30 p.m., their officers responded to the 100 block of Bosworth Street, “regarding a hot prowl burglary where the suspect was armed with a firearm.”

SFPD said their officers arrived on scene and made contact with a suspect, who refused to comply.

An NBC Bay Area photojournalist was on the scene monitoring the negotiations when police fired.

Neighbors said they heard at least three shots echoing through the neighborhood just before 6 p.m.

“It almost sounded like more to me. I thought it was more like five,” said witness Michela MacFarland.

Police responded to the incident a home across and down the street from MacFarland’s house. A San Francisco police negotiator was there within minutes and MacFarland said patrol cars kept rolling in and officers taped off two city blocks with crime scene tape.

“It just kept escalating with all of the vehicles, the tactile team and the ambulances,” she said.

SFPD spokesperson Robert Rueca the lone male suspect repeatedly refused to comply with orders to drop his gun and leave the home.

“Officers had been negotiating with the suspect for three and a half hours,” he said.

Rueca said he couldn’t give any more details but said after that long negotiating period at least on officer fired. He added life-saving medical aid was attempted.

The suspect later died at the hospital.

It’s the second time MacFarland said she witnessed a massive police response in the neighborhood where she lived for 15 years.

Police said they will have more details for neighbors when they hold a town hall on the shooting – sometime within the next 10 days.

Anyone with information is asked to contact San Francisco police at 415-575-4444.

Source: NBC Bay Area

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *